Quiet revolution at Nottingham Rowing Club

PDFPrintE-mail

Monday, 09 March 2015 12:34 Written by Administrator

Share

Nottingham Boat Club was founded as a rebel group which defied the then Nottingham Rowing Club's rule against rowing on Sundays; the group broke away and set up a new club in 1894. In 1947 Nottingham Rowing Club merged with the Nottingham Union Rowing Club to form the Nottingham & Union Rowing Club, the name ceasing to be used. In 2006 the Nottingham Boat Club amalgamated with a sister club on Trentside, Nottingham Britannia Rowing Club, to form a new club, which took as its name Nottingham Rowing Club.

In 1913, militant suffragettes set fire to the Boat Club. The men attended the women's next meeting and 'subjected them to various indignities'! "Nothing new there then," commented the new and first Woman Captain, Helen Bloor.

Women began rowing at the Club in 1971 and have gone from strength to strength. They have enhanced every area of the club's activities and are now a vital part of the success of the Club. They are currently Nottingham City's 'Team of 2014.'

Up to this year, the club's Men and Women have held separate annual Club Dinners, but this year a quiet revolution has taken place, and at the Ramada Hotel in Nottingham a joint celebration was held for the first time

The toast to the Club was given by Olympic Gold Medallist Zac Purchase, who presented to the club a pair of sculls with which he had established a World Record. Helen Bloor replied, thanking several members for their support in running the club and reminding everyone that success at Henley Royal Regatta and on the international stage had been part of club life since the 1960s. Distinguished veteran members and Vice-President, Stuart Wharton then toasted 'Rowing' before Vice-President Tony Lorrimer brought proceedings to an end with his own inimitable 'Closing Remarks'.

Guest of Honour was British Rowing Chairman Annamarie Phelps who left after an enjoyable evening with a very positive view of Nottingham Rowing Club.